Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

win2k pro + winxp home

Status
Not open for further replies.

j0ckser

Technical User
Jan 4, 2004
CA
- i have a problem with an older computer - viruses got in and wrecked the o/s (win2k pro) for which i no longer have the disk.
- my solution is to reformat the HDD and install a new o/s (winxp home).
- BUT win2k won't let me reformat.
- next solution is to re-partition the drive during the installation of the new o/s; can't because the HDD contains the temp files required for installation.
- so i barged ahead and installed winxp and now i have a dual o/s setup which i don't want.

the ideal solution would be to reformat the HDD, or partition it during winxp installation. i have stored the vital files on an external drive and can add them after. a lesser idea would be to dismantle (good term?) win2k.

per ardua ad astra

my solution is to reformat the HDD and install a new o/s (winxp ome).

That's a good idea,
- BUT win2k won't let me reformat.

Win2k should have no say on this. Boot up with the XP CD and let it partition and format the drive.

- next solution is to re-partition the drive during the installation of the new o/s; can't because the HDD contains the temp files required for installation.

Not sure what you mean by that. Again the XP CD should be able to format the current partition.

- so i barged ahead and installed winxp and now i have a dual o/s setup which i don't want.

You can delete the entry from the boot.ini and then delete the in2k folder to get rid of it.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

oh... i feel so foolish...

of course you can't format from windows explorer (it's a dynamic environment)... you must do it from either an emergency floppy or the recovery console of the installation disk!

all fixed.

anyway thanks to vacunita for answering.

per ardua ad astra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back