Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

win2k pro not loading desktop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ernesth

Technical User
Jan 17, 2002
US
hello,
I have a win2k machine which will not load the desktop. When I start it up I get the novell (4.81) login prompt and I am able to successfully login. But, when windows goes to load, the taskbar flashes on the bottom of the screen, and then it just sits there. The mouse and the keyboard work (I am able to ctrl-alt-del to restart/shutdown) and the background loads - but nothing else. The same thing happens when you boot up into safemode, or if you choose not to login to the network. Also, it does not matter which user profile I use, I get the same thing no matter who logs in.
I have not run into any previous problems with this machine, it has been on the floor for about 5 months with no problems whatsoever, and all of a sudden this starts happening this morning. Nothing new has been added (software/hardware) and no other changes have been made -- and the user says that they have not had to shut it down improperly lately. The only thing that I can think to do right now is to attempt to remove any documents and do a clean install.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks,
ernesth

At first I thought you had inadvertantly set to HIDE desktop when viewed as a web page. Yet you said it did not matter which user you logged on as.

Unless there is a trick being played on you TODAY ( he he ) ... If others can access all users, look in to that and then worry.

Go to screen properties and see! Set the Active Desktop screen OFF for now, too!

Terry

I seem to remember running into some thing along that lines, and had to reinstall the Novell client software.
You could also try hitting F8 on boot and pick last known good configuration.

What are you logging onto. If you had been logging onto the local machine, and it got changed to a domain, you would see dramatic differences. Click on your options button when you go to log on, and see what the third line is. Check to see if it's the same as a pc with no problems. It may be that it has been logging onto the local computer, but the first time you try and log onto the domain, it want's to create a newuser account. Once that's done, you'll have c:\documents and settings\username and c:\documents and settings\domainname\username. With two seperate accounts, they'll look totally different. You have to go into the properties of my computer, go to the profiles tab, and copy the username account to the domainname\username account. Use the browse button for that so the sintax is correct, and make sure you change the permitted to use to domainname\username. Good luck. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional

"Things are not always as they seem;
the first appearance deceives many."
Phaedrus (15BC - 50AD) Roman poet, short-story writer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back