Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2k Pro hangs at black screen on restart or shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stenlonus

MIS
Mar 5, 2001
US
I have installed Win2k Pro on 3 systems and each one has the same problem: Each PC hangs at a black screen after selecting Shutdown or Restart. The strange thing is the each PC would shutdown and restart normally when they were first installed, but now none of them will. Another strange thing is that the system will restart and shutdown fine from Safe Mode. Here is a list of the things that I have tried and not been successful with:
1) Updated each BIOS to the most current BIOS, and enabled APM or APCI on each.
2) I have checked each driver to ensure that each of them was Win2k certified.
3) I have run regclean.exe and accepted the changes.
4) I have disabled all start up programs to try to elimanate the programs as being suspect.
5) I have installed SP1 and all Hotfixes to date.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Stenlonus

Are you running Winpoet for a dsl connection??? I had the same problem with my w2000 machines -- winpoet was the culprit. I uninstalled winpoet and installed RASPPOE -- poof, problem disappeared.

Good luck.

Jimmy

I have the same problem on a clients machine, I have not been able to get back to fix it, but I was told to replace the drivers for the NIC with the ones from the manufacturer not the ones that come with Win2K. If it works let me know.

Replacing (or rather upgrading) my ISDN driver cured this problem for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back