Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2k not starting keeps looping through boot up

Status
Not open for further replies.

praise2him

Technical User
Aug 22, 2003
US
Hi,
To start I should say I have a dual boot Win2k/XP machine. I installed System Mechanic on it a few months back and it seems to have worked well. Anyway last week I was doing some cleaning (w/ system mechanic)and when I went to restart it just started looping through. I get to the boot screen and select Win2K or XP it then gets to the start up screen but immediately reboots and will continue this process indefinately. I cannot seem to locate my Emer. repair disks for 2k. I think I used them somewhere and left them behind. Is there somewhere online to download these disks? Or does anyone have any suggestions to get the machine to boot correctly?
Thanks for any help,
Paul

Thanks bcastner,
I am mainly looking to get back into my Win2k O.S. The problem is that I have NTFS on my computer and the other Win2k computers available to me are FAT32 and I can't seem to get the emergency disks to work from Fat32 to NTFS.
Let me know if that doesn't make any sense. Thanks for the help you have given,
Paul

You could also use the repair function when you boot from your windows 2000 setup cd.

Boot with the cd. Then when it prompts the first time if you want to install or repair chose install. It will now go away and think a bit and find your current installation of windows and should prompt you again if you want to install or repair this time chose repair as this will keep your settings etc.

Altho if you can do Bill's tips it is a lot quicker as this will be the same as a normal windows 2000 setup....

I downloaded the set of 6 floppy's plus the win 2000 recovery download. Attempted to boot w/ floppy but all it says is "disk I/O error" on a dos screen.

I also tried to boot from the win 2000 CD and got this error at the setup screen:
INF file txtsetup.sif is corrupt or missing. Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit.

doesn't sound to good. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back