Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2k - My Network Places

Status
Not open for further replies.

rossco6

MIS
Jan 14, 2004
GB
Anyone seen this weird one before?

When I right click on the My Network Places icon on the desktop, I don't see any connections. I'm trying to change my pc from a DHCP assigned address to a static one, but have hit this stumbling block!

There is no group policy settings preventing this and no other user in the domain is experiencing this, only me.

Any clues?

In Device Manager, select the properties sheet for the network adapter, highlight TCP/IP and click Propertiess, and make the assignment.

I cant see a way of getting to the tcp/ip properties from device manager. if I go to the properies of the NIC I just get all the driver options etc, nothing about assigning IP addresses etc.

Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Network Connections and right click the LAN adapter. You will see the TCP/IP configuration option there. Hilight TCP/IP and click Advanced to change the IP configuration.

Steven S.
MCSA
A+, Network+, Server+, i-Net+

That's my point, when I go into network connections there is nothing there. It's totally bizarre. Out of the 250 odd pc's I have on-site this is the only one that I've noticed this problem on.

Have just tried that, it didn't work.

Anymore clues? It's beginning to annoy me now!

Thanks

:eek:)

Try removing the network adapter from the Device Manager and then reboot to have Windows reinstall it. Other than that, I can only think that a particular service is not running. Check if the Network Connections service is running.

Steven S.
MCSA
A+, Network+, Server+, i-Net+

That was it!!!!

The network connections service was stopped!

It's always the simple things, isn't it?

Thanks all

Ross

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back