Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2k MBR issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tekno5ile

Technical User
May 30, 2001
US
I recently setup a dual boot of Win2k and RedHat 7.1. Unfortunately, I somehow managed to make Linux not like running.

I formatted the Linux partition with Partition Magic, which I had used to setup the partitions in the first place. All seemed well.

However, LILO is somehow still on the system. I cannot get it to leave. The boot.ini file seems to be ok, and the rest of Linux is gone. I even reformatted and remerged the partition into my Win2k disk.

I am trying to see if there is a better way to access the MBR. I understand, yes, that reformatting the entire HDD will do the trick. This is something that, for once, I wish not to do.

I don't see this issue as damaging, or overly annoying, as I can use BootMagic to bypass this. Still, I want to get rid of BM to, and don't want any remnants of Linux at this point.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Boot to a command prompt if you have an older boot disk and type in fdisk /mbr
this will wipe out the master boot record. The mbr will be rebuilt on the next boot up and lilo will be gone.

Before you Fdisk the MBR make sure your ERD (Emergancy Boot Disk) is up to date. I would suggest creating another copy just in case. Then FDISK the MBR and reboot with you boot floppies AND ERD. Then restore the Boot file (Boot.ini). James Collins
Computer Hardware Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back