Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2K machine can't see W98 clients on same subnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falcon67

IS-IT--Management
Aug 3, 2001
US
This is probably related to our newness w/W2K. I have an "admin" in another area that has a W2K machine that needs to browse to some W98 machines. He has all the boxes in the workgroup "Workgroup". They are all on the same switch in a room together. All can see each other (and outside) via ping. His 2K machine can see the 2K machines in the domain (xxxNETWORK) and other workgroups but not the machines in Workgroup. The DC (and my 98 laptop, representing all "normal" computers) can see all W2K machines and other workgroups in the domain except his. DC and I cannot see (browse to) any workgoup called Workgroup. This problem appeared Wed. after the DC was upgraded to 2K. All DC settings are similar to the old NT4.0 settings. The problem only exists in this one area, so I suspect a config problem on his 2K box or something related to the workgroup, but we don't know enough yet to tell him what for. Proposed solutions: join that 2K box to the domain (shouldn't be necessary, but he thinks it is), add his 98 box IP's to LMHOSTS on his 2K box, enable WINS on the 2K box. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

win2K has DNS. have you tried entering the IP of the new 2K server into the DNS field of that WORKGROUP?
Jeffrey Rebong
Computer Engineer/Network Administrator
jrdebug@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back