Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2K LAN with DSL - What Firewall Software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

57chevy

Programmer
Jan 4, 2000
US
As system administrator of a small LAN using Win2K Server and XP on all the other PC's, I have a DSL with an internal router using Nat Translation to allow the owner and sales people to access the Win2K Server using Windows Terminal Services. I am using Symantic Anti-Virus for virus protection, but everyday, I'm finding worms and trojans coming onto the network. Can anyone recommend a good firewall software that will work with my system?

Get a hardware firewall router combo such as Netscreen. Much better. Faster and more secure. Built in ability to Firewall, antivirus, VPN, etc... With Processor and Ram.

$500...24/7 support.

AV

I'd say you're looking for more of a hardware based virus detection scheme, than a firewall. Inherently, a router with NAT usually will block most if not all outside requests coming in, so that's not your problem. netscreen is a good device, albeit it will require a bit of configuration to pass packets efficiently with your terminal services setup.

BlackIce is a great Firewall. I use it at home. However, it seems your system has been compromised. You may need an IDS (intrusion Dection System). An IDS will protect the system from 'attacks from behind the firewall'

if you are looking for a firewall, then i would recommend zone alarm pro, ok its expensive, but very good and versatile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back