Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2k HDD now says to format

Status
Not open for further replies.

pc3957

ISP
Aug 24, 2004
US
Hi,

I have a Win2k system with the drives partitioned as follows:

IDE0 (80GB)
E 80GB
IDE1 (160GB)
C 80GB
D 80GB

They are all NTFS drives. Everything worked fine until suddenly after Windows asked if I wanted to format my D drive when I tried to access it through my computer. I of course answered no. C and E work fine, but D is in an unformatted state. I cannot access my files or view them in any way. Everytime I try to access the drive, it says I need to format it first.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks.

Shouldnt your primary IDE have the boot drive?
Can you access D from a DOS prompt? Maybe run scan from there or safemode because it sounds like it has lost its place in the partition table!

pc.gif

Jomama

What was on the drive? Do you have data backups?

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

I cannot access the data from dos. The syetem gives me the same messages as if it was not yet formatted. It's like the drive became unformatted.

I do have backups of most everything, but there is some things I would like to retreive.

Maybe I can boot it using a Linux rescue disk?

Anyone know of any freeware that might work?

Thanks.

That or you might mount it to a funcional linux based system. See what happens when you mount the drive.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back