Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2K DNS root server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmull

MIS
Sep 24, 2001
US
I have a few question about setting up Active Directory DNS. I have not tried this yet on Windows 2000 (servers haven't arrived yet), so any assistance would be appreciated. I intend to delete the "." domain from DNS manager on the first AD DNS server1 in order to set up a FORWARDER for our ISP's dns #s. My question is this. When I set up my second DC and install DNS, what problems are going to be caused by my actions on DNS server1? My understanding is that normally the wizard will query the root servers listed in the cache.dns file. If the wizard cannot contact any root servers, it configures the local computer as a root server and creates another "." zone. Maybe I'm just not understanding DNS properly. Will my second server see the first DNS installation at all with the "." zone deleted? Do I also need to delete the "." zone on DNS Server2? Is it still possible to set up Active Directory Integrated Zones with the "." zones deleted on both servers? Please help.

Ok, when you dcpromo to install AD on the server it will hunt for a DNS server that is authoritive for your domain. This is one reason why you must have at least a hub connected to the server before installing, as it needs some response from the NIC.
If you have a router connected, and the server NIC is set to gateway to this, then you will have a long wait during the setup while it queries the internet name servers. Eventually it will return with an error "Cannot find a DNS server that is authorative for the domain, setup will install DNS (recommended)." Also, if the server can see the internet during its install, it will NOT create a root zone. The DNS install will still be done (above error message), and yet allow you to add a forwarder.
"Authorative for the domain" is the key to your question. When you install AD on the first server, this all happens and you will have AD with integrated DNS, this is the DNS that is authorative for your domain. When you setup the second AD server, it must be able to detect the first server, as then it will install DNS that is a slave to the first one, not another one thinking it is the authority for your domain.

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back