Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2K can't detect my modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

huggybear

Technical User
Feb 15, 2001
US
Hello gurus!

I just put a bigger hard drive into my Gateway Solo 9300. I now dual boot with my original Windows 98SE and Windows 2K Pro. 98 has no problem with the modem but 2K just can't seem to use it.

I have tried many times to delete and reinstall the modem and after I do, the OS tells me that the modem is working fine and there are no problems. However, when I try to connect to the internet, I get a message telling me that Windows 2K can't find a modem.

In trying to find the problem I have discovered that in the 98 partition, the modem is on COM2, while in 2K it is on COM1. I have tried to move it from one port to the other in each OS but have not been able to.

Can anyone please help me with this problem?

Thanks in advance,
Bear

Have you used the Add/Remove Hardware Wizard? Use this and choose to select your device from a list. After you select the mocem the next screen will ask which COM port you want to use... Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

Matt,

Thanks for the reply. To answer your question about the add/remove hardware wizard: yes.

The strange thing is, after I remove the modem, when I start the wizard up again, it never even finds the modem that is in the computer. I have to manually add it. Plus, the modem I have is not listed, so I have tried to add a regular, unspecified modem (I can't think of the name of the item in the list - it's the first selection).

I haven't acquired SP2 yet. Might that help?

Bear

It might, not sure about that.. You may want to look up your modem and verify that it is on the HCL, maybe it's not compatible with 2k.. Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

i had similar problem , i switched the modem slot and of course make sure you get 2k drivers for it.also look device manager check there for slot errors your sounds most likely a driver error check gateways web page for 2k drivers.

Gentlemen, I thank you for your input. I have tried all suggestions and so far have had no success.

I did go to Gateway and found Windows 2K drivers that were supposed to work for the part number of my modem, but they didn't make any difference.

I will keep trying, but if you can think of something else I can try, please let me know.

BTW, does anyone know how to write device drivers?

Bear

I had a similar problem until I realized (stupidly) that
I had the modem disabled in my system bios. But the
behavior you described is similar to the behavior I saw
until I changed the bios settings. Obviously this is not
your problem since win98 works. It may be that your modem
wants or needs to operate on a certain com port(s). In my
case, once the modem was recognized, the modem didn't
install into either of the available com ports, but to
a totally new one (com 1 and 3 were available before I
fixed the bios and it finally installed to com 4 after I
fixed the bois). So you might try to disable the com
ports at the bios level to see if you modem will install
(hopefully without affecting your win98 install). The
wizard also has problems if you uninstall hardware and
then reinstall it. You need to reboot inbetween.

Have you reseated the modem or tried it in a different PCI slot. I'm assuming it's an internal modem, since it appears on different COM ports depending on the OS, which would be a resource allocation thing. First thing I would do is to move it to another slot and ensure it is securely in the slot, then see if windows will detect it. You don't say whether it's just 2k that can't see it though.

P.

Thanks for the input. I have got it to work now. Someone on the Google group for Gateway stuff sent me some drivers that made the difference.

Bear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back