Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2k and NetWare 5.1 DNS - no rush

Status
Not open for further replies.

doubletoker

IS-IT--Management
Jun 20, 2002
US
I am trying to get DNS resolution thru a BorderManager 3.5 server (Running NetWare 5.1). I have setup my Windows 2000 Advance server as a DNS server and DHCP server to resolve DNS on my public side (just for testing). I have another NetWare 5.1 server running DNS and DHCP for my public side. I have put an exclusion on my BorderManager box to allow my NetWare 5.1 server to resolve DNS names from the Win2k server and it is working. The problem I have is getting the private side to resolve DNS names to the public side. There are 2 UDP statefull port 53 exclusion on the BorderManager box. One for outgoing request and one for incoming request. If I have my WinXP Pro laptop on the public side of the network it seems to resolve names from the Win2k just fine but not the NetWare box. When the WinXP Pro laptop is connected to the private side it will resolve names from the Win2k box but the Netware 5.1 box. The NetWare 5.1 box will resolve names for itself or the Win2k server. The BorderManager box is the same. Basically this is what I need to know

How do you get a Win2k DNS server and a NetWare 5.1 NDS server to resolve DNS names to each other?

Have you tried opening TCP port 53 as well? I know this should not have an effect, but I have seen where this has affected systems in strange ways.
Just a suggestion
*Mick*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back