Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2003 Server Data Migration

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarleyGod

MIS
May 6, 2005
US
I need to migrate about 450GB worth of data from one Win2003 Std ed. server to another Win2003 Std ed server. My question is, does anyone know of a free tool (other than RoboCopy) that will migrate data and keep all of the folder shares, all the share security, and all the NTFS folder security? I have been using Secure Copy from ScriptLogic and it works like a charm. Although it is a eval copy and wil only copy 2500 files at 1 time. The machines are on the same Win2003 AD domain. This is basically just a file server that is getting retired and the data is being moved to a more robust server with faster processors and more disk space. Printers are also being migrated with Microsoft's Print MIgration tool 3.0

Try beyond Compare, it's about $30.00 but it's worth buying

What's wrong with robocopy it's the best, and it's free? If it's the Shares you don't know how to move look here.

You can do a search and replace on the reg file, if the drive letter is changed.

=====================================
The good ole days weren't always good
and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems

I just looked at the reg key for the shares and it's Multivalued String, so you can't do a search and replace in the Reg file. I must have done the search and replace after I did the import.

The good ole days weren't always good
and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems

Use the Microsoft File Server Migration Toolkit.
It'll take care of the shares and everything for you.

Have a look at a program called SecureCopy. We are migrating data at present and have found it so easy it's not funny. It does user data, all permissions and shares also. It is making a hard job easy.

ChrisK

Yup. SecureCopy is very, very good. But it is also very, very overpriced. Even more so now they have been taken over by ScriptLogic.

Neill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back