Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

win2000 to win2000 Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronald75

Technical User
Jul 8, 2002
CA
I have a network of 10 computers with no real "Server", just a main computer running windows 2000 containing all the important files.
I'm going to make the transition to win2000 server.
Can I do this just by adding a new computer to my network with the new operating system installed?
Do I need to get any CAL's if all the previous versions of windows already have licenses on the individual machines?
The only reason we are upgrading is to prevent "too many connection" errors.
I'm going to buy a book on the OS tonight to study. Hope I've not bitten off more than I can chew. ;)

You'll need a CAL for each computer on your network that will access files on the server.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

With Windows 2000 you have two choices for your CALS. Per Seat or Per Server.

Per Server is the cheaper method and licenses the number of connections to a server. This method is only good when you are using only one server.

Per Seat is a license for every computer on your network. They are more expensive, but cheaper in networks that use more then one server.

You can always upgrade your Per Server licenses to Per Seat , but you cannot go back to Per Server from Per Seat.

Windows 2003 uses Per Server and a new type called Per User. Per Server is the same as it has always been.

Per User does everthing that Per Seat does, as well as if you have a user that uses more then one machine they are covers. For example lets say you use your desktop at work, your laptop while you are on the road and you also connect form home from time to time. All three machines would count as one Per User license.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back