Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2000 reverting registry to password encrypted 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

stla

IS-IT--Management
Mar 12, 2003
DE
I was accessing a SAMBA mount with global Password Encryption OFF.

I there edited the registry on the WIN2000 like this:

1) Rrun regedt32.exe and locate the hive key entry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkStation\Parameters.

2) Add a new DWORD value: Value Name: EnablePlainTextPassword Data: 0x01

I have now enabled Password encryption under the Samba globals to ON and re-edited the registry to a 0.

The problem is it is refusing to mount the share; I don't believe it is sending the password encrypted.

Does anyone know a workaround?

Best regards

First, it is better to delete the registry key than simply change the value. You will need to reboot the Windows machine to make the change effective.

You stated that you enabled encrypted passwords for Samba, so you have a line that says encrypt passwords = yes in your globals. Did you restart Samba?

Have your run smbpasswd -a for each of your users?

How does it refuse to mount the share? Do you get an error message?

Thanks for the input.

Yes have added users with command -a and restarted SAMBA.

I have deleted the key and rebooted to no avail.

It seems that inside the parameters of SAMBA everything has been done correctly, however, the application making the link in this case is not WIN2000 but an (expensive) application from kodak called Prinergy which maps network folders; they have all been able to replicate this problem and have asked for my smb.conf files. I therefore think there maybe a further setting required.

Thanks for your interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back