Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2000 Professional sysytem won't shut down..hangs. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pazsint

Technical User
Aug 8, 2003
US
This is a new build and all drivers, updates, service packs etc, have been done. Would be OK except that when you shutdown from start it says it is saving settings, then is shutting down, but it goes to the sky blue screen and hangs..does the same with restart. I've left it go a couple hours and its goes to screen scaver but computer is still running...hung. Cont+Alt+Delete does nothing at that point, but cursor is live.
Other things....I've noticed its takes too long to load to desktop, seems a bit 'tight' opening programs for example, and I cannot get it to display the running programs in sys information..it just sits refreshing .
I'm using an updated Symantec, but have renmoved and reinstalled it and no good. Also have put in new VIA drivers , MSI bios, Gainward drivers, and checked the power and the ACPI settings..no good.
Ok, if you got questions first, fire away....

So far that hasn't been the answer either. I like Spybot S&D, Spyware Blaster, and AD-Aware..thinking it may be an OS corruption, and gonna try a ERD repair.

remove a few windows patches which u lately installed..in win2k they do cause problems when fixing one error..or u may reinstall sp4...
lastly edit the registry & change the shutdown value to 1 if 0 & to 0 if 1.

have a look here, it will take a while but so you can find out what causes the problem.
have fun ;-)

microsoft recommends:

How to Use Task Manager to Identify the Cause of the Shutdown Behavior
Use Task Manager to determine the programs that are currently running on the computer. For each program that is listed in Task Manager, manually quit the program, and then shut down and restart the computer to test if the shutdown problem is resolved. To do this, follow the procedure that is described in this section.

NOTE: All programs that are currently running on the computer may not be listed in the Applications tab of Task Manager.
Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE, and then click Task Manager.
Click the Applications tab.
In the Task column, click the program that you want to quit, and then click End Task.
Quit Task Manager.
Shut down the computer.

Thanks Lemon for your input...I figured as much too, and did a lot of program uninstalls and reinstall as well...just couldn't seem to pinpoint it. And more trouble started creeping into the install. I needed to deliver this unit, and move on so I had to wipe drive. The new install this time shuts down...but geez I hate this approach...takes countless hours you know to reinstall all those updates, progs, etc.
So....I am withdrawing or deleting this question,however... so if a moderator, or please kill it ...Thanks to all!
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back