Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

win2000 log off

Status
Not open for further replies.

lincoln591

Technical User
Dec 27, 2001
US
when shutting down win 2000 pro , the splash screen stays up saying "it is safe to turn off your computer" then I need to turn off the computer with the power button. is there a way to macke the computer shut down all the way with out this message screen ?

I have the same issue for WINDOWS NT Machines..

Regarding Windows 2000, your computer would need to support the ACPI Bios standards to enable an automated Power-Off after shutdown. How old is the computer? Pentium II's and above, for the most part, should support ACPI.

Check the computer mfg or Bios vendor for an update if applicable.

As for NT4, it "barely" supports APM (Advanced Power Mgmt)
and consequently requires outside support to get many of these features to work. Namely an OEM HAL.DLL that supports the power off with the addition of a registry key set to enable power off after shutdown.

If you enable it in the registry and the Hal.dll support is not there, then the computer will restart when you choose to power off.

I think the registry key is the same for W2K as it is for NT4:

HKLM/Software/Microsoft/WindowsNT/CurrentVersion/Winlogon

Key is "PowerDownAfterShutdown".

Doug
dxd_2000@yahoo.com

An easier way to set it is to go to START>SETTINGS>CONTROL PANEL. Then go to POWER OPTIONS then APM and check the box next to ENABLE ADVANCED POWER MANAGEMENT SUPPORT. Now as dxd stated your system needs to support ACPI. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

You can use the tool apmstat from the windows 2000 cd to check and see if the computer is compatable. Extract it from support/tools and run from cmd prompt as apmstat -v.

the bios must not be the issue because winXP shuts down with no issues on the same machine.

Did you check the registry key I detailed previously?
Doug
dxd_2000@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back