Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2000 gets in "working offline" mode with no reason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ju

Technical User
Jul 4, 2000
FR
hi,

I have a windows 2000 pro which from time to time gets offline (from the 2000 server) with no reason.

I have to re-synchronise each time and it makes me loose work or fail my computer.

By the way, I work directly on the server win2000.

Thank you for your help.

Not sure what your last line "By the way, I work directly on the server win2000.", but make sure "Start\Settings\Control Panel\Administrative Tools\Local Security Policy\Security Settings\Local Policy\Security Options\Amount of idle time required before disconnecting session" is set to "0". Heath
Principal Systems Engineer
Desktop and Mobile Platforms

It would be interesting to know what you mean when you write "re-synchronize". Are you meaning that you reboot and all is well, or is there some utility function you run?

Also, do you lose the server, or all networking?

Regards,

Mike Tao is the mobius. The ribbon of heaven and earth, you cannot lose your way.

Well... when I lose my connection, a little blue computer pops up on the lower right of the screen saying that I'm ofline... for example if I was on Word, I loose my sync and all I was doing in it...
When I say re-synchronize it's just going from off-line to on-line again.

What a073235 said didn't help...thanks anyway

I think it may come from hardware... like a bad cable connection or so...but it still seems to be odd

Any idea?

Thanks

Yep, your loosing your connection. Are you on 10Mbs or 100Mbs network? If your card is set for auto... reset for actual settings & speed of network. Start with checking the power to your connecting hub & change your LAN cable. You may just luck out and it be something easy. Best of luck! -md

I'm on 100mbs and indeed it is set to auto.

I'll try to force it to the settings of my network. I have replaced my lan cable and tried with another switch and it still did it to me.
I think it comes more from the ethernet card config/material.

Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back