Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2000 crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdw999

IS-IT--Management
Feb 5, 2002
SE
Hi!

I've recently upgraded from Win 98 and now whenever I try to attach my ISDN/USB modem it immediately crashes Windows 2000.

No problem I thought, just disable all the drivers in safe mode and everything should be ok. Except this has not helped at all. As far as I can see there are no drivers relating to this in the device manager. And if I try to attach the modem in safe mode, the PC still crashes.

Any ideas, would be appreciated (apart from going back to Win98!).

Cheers,

Martin

After upgrading to 2000, did you install all the drivers for your motherboard, particularly the USB ones?

Whether you did or not, it might be a good idea to go to your mobo manufacturer's website and download the latest 2000 drivers and install them. This will improve the USB support and discount a software error at this point.

Hi!

I've loaded all the latest Win 2000 drivers from the Toshiba web site. But still I get the following message:

Mode_Exception_Not_Handled *Address 8041F2FC Base AT *0400000, DateStamp - NTOSKRNL.EXE

One of my colleagues suggested that I do a complete reinstall and this time format the hard disk, but this seems a little drastic!

Check the device manager and see if the USB root hub has a exclamation point.

Martin,
The rule of thumb with upgrading any Microsoft
O/S Product . DONT. Never a good idea to do this. Consider this with most upgrades you can go back to the previous version, where are all the files to do this ? still on your hard drive causing problems !!!!! As you can see !!!!

Do a clean install save your self some time and trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back