Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WIN ZIP Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flavor4real

Technical User
Jun 3, 2003
US
Hello,
How is everything going? Question:
I've developed a 3D animation via CAD. It's a quicktime movie, 4:25 minutes long, and has 2400 redered single pictures. The unkompressed size on the harddreive is 1.15GB. I've kompressed the movie via WIN ZIP down to about 600 MB so that i can save it on a CD-ROM.

Now i'm on a new computer via Windows XP PRO. I've tryed to unzip the file but everytime after 20 minutes the WINZIP say that there is a error in a track or so.

I've unziped the data on the computer (Win 98, Pentium III, 128 MB RAM) where i kompressed the data and i didn;t had any kind of problem BUT that computer is gone and this one here is a little bit better ( Windows XP PRO, 128 MB RAM, Pentium IIII).

What is the problem that WINZIP can't unzip the file??? Is it a matter of RAM ??

Need help, cause this project took a lot of night work and I need this animation...

Thanks

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
:::::::::: 55-Studio.com :::::::::::

hi
Maybe is that your winzip the version is not supported by WinXp. Maybe you try using the same winzip version for the both computer and try whether can you unzip it.You must check the winzip version.

Are you trying to unzip directly from the CD? If so, try copying zip file to hard drive first. Did you ever try unzipping the file on CD in original 98 machine to make sure it was zipped/written to disk properly? (Is the original version still on hard disk somewhere - or is it gone now?)

yup, i have copy the file tp the harddrive and then unziped it on the old computer. everything was working. I had to format my drive on the old computer cause i was givin' it to a friend.

like i said that on this computer a;ways a error message comes up when i unzip the file after i copied it to the drive.

a Microsoft friend saied i need to try it on a 1GB RAM computer cause the file is already 1,10 GB gib unkompressed

:::::::::: 55-Studio.com :::::::::::

Well as you have unzipped it on old machine (also 128MB RAM), you know that's not the answer. If the zip up & copy was good, it likely to be either the copy off CD or there's something up with your machine. Can you try it on a friend's machine, just to see if problem is duplicated or not? I know its hit and miss reading a CD written on another machine (some won't read at all, some will read, but with errors - which looks like your case, some read perfectly, but slowly, some just read). Alternatively, have you another CD drive you could (temporarily) install in your machine? (you haven't got access to CD writer you used - that would be best bet of all).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back