Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WIN XP WONT BOOT FROM HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

baggio7

Programmer
Jun 23, 2004
CA
HEY, I'M WONDERING IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME WITH MY HARD DRIVE.
I HAD WIN XP PRO ON MY COMPUTER AND I DECIDED TO FORMAT MY DISK SINCE I HAD SO MUCH JUNK ON IT. WHEN I REINSTALLED XP, IT WOULD NOT BOOT FROM MY HARD DRIVE.
THERE ARE 2 WAYS THAT I CAN MAKE IT BOOT:
1:LEAVE XP CD IN CDROM BUT NOT BOOT FROM IT.
2:MAKE A BOOT DISKETTE WITH BOOT.INI,NTLDR,NTDETECT.COM

THESE ARE THE ONLY 2 WAYS I CAN BOOT XP.
DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW I CAN GET IT TO BOOT FROM MY HARD DRIVE AGAIN???

ya i tryed that and also tryed fixmbr and it still doesn't work.

any other suggestions?

it says that there is no boot record to insert media or chose the proper device

do you have access to another computer that you can take the drive to as a slave and try checking it out there? Maybe run the manufacturer's diagnostic on it....

Les Gray

Seems you had a corrupt format or install of XP.
What program did you use to format the drive?
Maybe you should run the XP setup again and let it format the drive for you.

I was having the same problem and solved it by modifying the boot order in the BIOS file by doing the following:
1. turn on your PC and while it is starting up;
2. press ESC key;
3. press F10;
4. Select "English" language;
5. Go to the Security menu;
6. Scroll down to Boot Order;
7. Select CD drive (first), a: drive (second), etc. and be sure to leave your hard drive for last;
8. Select save settings and exit.

I hope this helps.

Correction to my Step 5 of my previous post:

5. Go to the Storage Menu;

I hope this helps.

Try deleting the partitions and then reinstalling XP.
XP should see the drive exists, partition it, format it in NTFS file system, and then install.

ok guys, thanks for your replys.
so this is whats happening.
i don't have extra hd to make it a slave, i did try to let xp format my computer and that didn't work.
i changed the boot order and it works. i don't understand. this is the order to boot:
1:ATAPI ZIP C:
2:IDE-2
3:IDE-0

if i just leave the c: boot it doesn't work. to me this doesn't make sense!
if i wanna boot off my floppy one day i'll have to change my boot order to floppy then put it back to the order above to make xp work. any other ways of making it boot?

i'll try formating in NTFS as a last resort since i've formated about 10 times already and now since it's working i already installed some stuff...

thanks again

You can actually convert to ntfs from fat32.
I believe you goto Run and type cmd
At the prompt type convert <drive>:

baggio7:

I'm glad to see you were able to boot up from HD. In my case, the order I used was CD drive first, floppy drive second, and hard drive third. If something goes wrong with booting up from HD again, I figured I should be able to boot up from CD or floppy without modifying the boot order.

I think the problem with my PC not booting up from the HD to begin with had to do with the boot order in BIOS somehow changing to CD drive first, HD first, and floppy second. So apparently it would try to boot from the CD first and floppy second and skip the HD. Do you recall what the boot order in your BIOS was set to before you correted it?

Having said that, the HD being first or last in the boot order may not matter. If the HD is last in the boot order, and there is nothing in the other drives, the PC should eventually boot from the HD. If the HD is first, it will boot right away without looking in the other drives. If the HD is first, and the system becomes corrupted or unbootable, you should be able to boot up from one of the other drives by inserting a start up CD or floppy, etc., in the appropriate drive since the PC will go to the other drives in the order specified in BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back