Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win XP winsock problem, or VIA Rhine Adapter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dangermoose

Technical User
Mar 9, 2005
US
I'm very puzzled by a problem I'm having- if anyone can offer advice I'd be most grateful:

I am having trouble with large file transfers which appear to crash winsock on my XP Pro SP2 machine. Here's the config:

System 1: Windows 2003 Server / Linksys Gigabit GA311 (operating at 100Mbps)
System 2: Windows XP Pro (SP2) / VIA Rhine Fast Ethernet
Switch/Router: Netgear WGR614 R3

During large data pulls from XP Pro to 2003 Server, winsock seems to crash and I lose all connectivity. I have tried ALL of the following:

- winsockxpfix (reset TCP/IP stack, reload winsock, etc.)
- using latest VIA Rhine Fast Ethernet drivers
- tried NIC on auto-sensing AND 100Mb TX Full-Duplex

Thanks in advance!

-Moose

thanks for the tips, bcastner.
winsock is fine...

checked the "too many collisions" issue, and I don't think that is the whole problem but you might be on to something. did some research and found a few other people who posted they are also having "large file transfer" problems with the same onboard VIA Rhine adapter. (Did i forget to mention its an onboard card?) I searched for some info on how to change the interframe gap on this card but couldn't find it.

My suspision is there might be some interference issues with the onboard NIC. (It isn't a real high-end MoBo...) I will be disabling it and using a spare 10/100 FA311 I have lying about to see if that resolves the issue.

-Moose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back