Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win XP VPN client issues with NT4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

RiftsWRX

IS-IT--Management
Jan 8, 2003
US
Hi guys,

First post here. I have two networks (work and home), both using the 192.168.0.0 subnet, both using two different domain names, etc.

In the windows 98 days I could tunnel into my home network from work and I could login, map network drives via a login script, surf, etc. My routing table would reflect the VPN'd connection, and everything was peachy... as it should be. Same worked going the other way.

Then I upgrade to XP, use microsofts VPN setup (via network connections WAN miniport PPTP), and can connect... properly.

But that's where everything ends.

I'm not doing split tunneling, the default gateway is setup to the remote network, and web browsing works flawlessly. Problem is that if I try to ping a server on my home (vpn'd) network that happens to have the same ip address as a server on the LAN (work) I get replies back from the LAN and not via the VPN.

Looking at the routing table I see my route entry of 192.168.0.0 pointing to my LAN interface. Obviously I could remove the route entry and just remap 192.168.0.0 to the VPN interface... but it be nice if someone could tell me how to get it to automatically route the info automatically.

Hopefully I did a decent job of explaining this.

Jorge

oh yeah...

P.S.

The NT 4.0 reference comes in on mentioning that the servers at home (that I'm trying to access via the VPN client on my new XP box) are running it.

So.. to summarize

work: 98 box -VPN> home: NT 4.0 just fine

now..

work: XP pro box -VPN> home: NT 4.0 surfs fine (outside of subnet), but cannot access any subnet resources. All attempts to access a subnet resource results in using the work subnet, not the VPN's subnet.

Thanks again,
Jorge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back