Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win XP system restore issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

poetstrm

Technical User
Feb 1, 2005
US
Hi, I am running win XP Pro. I used to be able to roll back to earlier dates in windows through system restore. Yesterday my virus software said there was a virus in one of the restore dates and it was able to delete the virus but now I cannot go back to any earlier dates at all, not yeaterday or last month. It tried to but once the computer restarts there is a message that says windows was unable to restore and that nothing was changed. I would really like to get this functionality back but am unwilling to completely reinstall XP. Any ideas? I use Avast Anti virus and I am also wondering if it may have deleted all of my restore date files when it removed the virus. It did say that 2 dates in particular had to be deleted so maybe it corrupted them all? I am also scared that this might be because of the virus and any other future restores will be no good. Thanks!

Laura

If you really feel you need to go back using System Restore try it from Safe Mode.

If that doesn't work (I recommend this following action anyway). Turn Off System Restore and Apply and OK this action, then turn it back On and Apply and OK that. This will remove all the old restore points and start things off again in a pristine condition.

This is all done via the System Restore tab after right-clicking the My Computer icon and then selecting Properties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back