Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win XP service pack 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

paz8473

Technical User
Jun 8, 2003
US
I downloaded sp2 and installed it on my system, then I couldn't sign on to the internet, I turned off the firewall and checked all my internet settings but still couldn't get a connection, my wife's computer is connected to the same DSL modem and I could still sign on just fine with her machine.
I restored my PC back to just before the SP2 installation and here I am back online just like mormal, so what does the SP2 change that makes my machine forget how to sign on to the internet?

Thanks,
Paz

Would you clarify your explanation please. Do both your and your wife's PC use the same DSL modem or the same type of DSL modem? If it is the former, how are you sharing the modem?

If you meant that you have a DSL router that lets you share the Internet with your wife, then the problem may be that the network settings are being changed by SP2. After installing SP2, did you try pinging your DSL router? DId you check that the router was assigning your IP address?

Regards: tf1

We actually use a router to share the same DSL modem, I'm pretty sure SP2 changed the settings on my PC but I don't know what it changed to cause this problem, how can I check the items that you mentioned if I decide to try to install SP2 again?

The computer is connected to the Router through the local LAN connection. What you need to do is look at the LAN Properties and note down the settings, particularly the TCP/IP properties which are normally set to Automatic (the Router will be acting as a DHCP server and assign IP addresses to devices as they start up on the network.

Just in case DHCP has been disabled and manual IPs have been assigned, check that current settings before you install SP2.

You can also go to a Command Prompt and enter

ipconfig /all

which will report back all the current network settings. Either print these out or copy them all down. Then if installing SP2 screws up again, run ipconfig again and compare the results. This should give a clue as to what has changed.

Regards: tf1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back