Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win XP - Repair Operation Failed 25

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isnork

Technical User
Mar 5, 2002
CA
I have just installed Win XP on my home PC. I am/was connected to the net via a Cable Modem. Everything was working fine after the install for approximately 2 restarts. Upon the 3rd restart I now cannot connect to the internet. When I attempt to repair my LAC I receive the following error: The following steps of the repair operation failed:
Renewing the IP address
Refreshing all DHCP leases and re-registering DN...
Please contact your network Administrator or ISP

The drivers for my network card have been re-installed several times, I have even re-installed XP. My ISP has no idea.

I am about to replace the Network card as I am running out of options. Anyone have any thoughts.

Isnork,

You mentioned you are connected to the net via cable modem. Do you get a static IP or dynamic IP? The messages indicate that XP is attempting to locate a DHCP server and get a dynamic address and is failing. If somehow your connection got changed from static to DHCP you could run into this situation. No amount of reinstalls will correct this. You need to configure the network adapter to match the connection.

Post back with your ISP and type of connection.
Also open a command prompt and type "ipconfig /all" without the quotes. Copy the results and post back here.

We'll get this straightened out.
The Old Man

Sorry I'm going to add to the help required list. I'm wondering if this is an XP problem. I have a laptop user using DCHP to get onto the LAN (server on same segment) who left work on Friday (leaving laptop locked up) and came in on Monday plugged it in and machine was unable to get a DHCP address. The good old 169.254.x.x kept turning up. Could connect with a static address but that is no good as user needs to transfer between sites. I gave up after 2 days of investigation and ran repair CD to rebuild. Static IP still fine but will not get a DHCP address. All other DHCP users are fine but none run XP.

Anyone got any ideas?

Well I actually tried to re-install WinXP again and this time, I was able to connect fine. I then installed the software drivers for my Nvidia TV out Video Card and I lost connection with the same error. I updated the drivers for my Video Card (Even though the existing ones were XP compatible) and I am now back up. Thanks for the info though.

Hi!

I've got the same problem with XP not beeing able to get a new DHCP lease. But I have dual boot on my machine and it works fine from my Win2k.

Problem is, I have used XP several weeks with no problem and no change in configuration. I have also experimented using a NAT firewall/router and giving XP a static IP and this have also worked fine. Only now I wanted to try using NetMeeting which my NAT cannot let through properly and wooha, no can do.... Very mysterious....

So clearly it have something to do with a crappy something in WinXP.

Are there any other ways to get a new lease from the DHCP but using the "repair" option?

Rgr

Jonas

My problem turned out to be the network port despite the fact that static IP worked fine and that the machine was sending out DHCP requests. I put another card in and it was fine.

There's a good chance the media type was being autosensed incorrectly. I try to set it to the type I know I'm using, whether 100 full, 10 half, or whatever.

A different card (not another identical one) could make a difference here. Probably a firmware or driver issue with the card causing autosense to fail or be erratic.

Hi!

I have solved my problem.

I was told that the repair option is a script that does a couple of common tasks and ipconfig /renew was one of them.

I tried this and I got the error msg "cannot proceed, file missing" or something like it.

So I reinstalled Win XP and then it worked like a charm. And all my programs (even MS Office) are still installed and working fine.

If nothing else does it for you, try reinstalling XP!

Cheers,

Jonas

doesn't work in my case. XP works well for two month. then just got 169.254.. IP. when trying to ipconfig/renew got this
"an operation was attempted on something that is not a socket"
when set in static IP, can only ping by router, can't ping other pc on the LAN, can NOT browse by IP address.

have done this, but still not working:
* reset TCP/IP as said in * remove and reinstall NIC
* reinstall Mcafee Virusscan/firewall, ..., later remove it again using Mcafee's uninstaller as MS said
* try with new NIC, new cable (work on other PC)
* try static IP
* try reinstall XP Sp1
* try reinstall XP then SP1

I am almost going to format the HD, anyone got any ideas?

As nero123 points to web site. The last suggestion for this usually works for me. Power off the pc and lanmodem and hub or router. Power up the lanmodem 1st, hub or router 2nd and finally the pc. Check the ip address at command and "ipconfig /all". Good luck.

I have had the same issue with:

ipconfig /renew returns:
An error occurred while renewing interface local area connection: an operation was attempted on something that is not a socket.

My solution, after many days of troubleshooting, was:
Force Windows to re-install TCP/IP.
Requires registry edits.

See:

not sure where this fits into the thread (and am also only a trial and error amateur), but what worked for me when I couldn't set up network under Winxp and IP renew failed:
- turn off WinXP firewall
- repair IP address (repair worked this time)
- set up network
- turn on WinXP firewall

I don't understand the logic, but, as I said, it worked for me (for the moment)

For those using XP and want to avoid hand editing the registry or a maintenance install, the following utility is a quick and easy way to rebuild your Winsock service. What it does is delete the Winsock service keys from the registry, installs two new sets of keys from a fresh Windows XP - SP1 install, and does a netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt rebuild.

Has saved my butt several times, the last two times when AdAware 6.0 corrupted the Winsock stacks.

The link is:

BCastner - just wanted to say thanks. I've been working on our new high speed cable internet access ALL day and using that EXE file to rebuild my Winsock was exactly what did the trick - I'll be hanging onto that little file. Thank you SOO) much for posting that!!

truckgal,

You are very welcome. For the pre-XP windows versions people routinely dealt with corruption of the Winsock service stacks by removing and then re-insetalling TCP/IP, an option not easily possible with XP.

I have found numerous cases were anti-virus software uninstalls, trojan removers, uninstalls of NIC drivers or updates, lead to corruption of the Winsock service entries.

If you have a error messages as in this thread, or different messages indicating a /renew option failure, or an XP computer that looses DNS and/or DHCP service after a period of time under high use, try repairing the Winsock service entries with this utility.

It cannot hurt, and you will be surprised how often the problem disappears.

Note to all, this utility has been upgraded:
Also see FAQ779-4625 for a longer discussion and current links.

Wanted to thank you for your help. It saved me after several days of frustration in trying almost everything else! Took a bit of figuring to get the program on my machine. Turned out my a: drive is bad. Thanks again.

I've been having this same problem:

I've come back from vacation and re-connected my XP machine to the network in my house. We have a cable modem with a router that connects a few computers -- none of the other computers are having connectivity problems..

I've been getting the "An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection 3: unable to contact your DHCP server" message when I run IPconfig and am, of course, unable to renew my IP address. I tried using the Winsockfix utility, and now my IP configuration shows to be 0.0.0 etc... instead of the generic 169.254..etc... I haven't gone so far as to reinstall XP yet -- but I've looked at the registry keys (no Norton residue that could be messing things up) and have made sure that DHCP is running... I'm not sure what else to do/check. Any suggestions before I completely break down?

Thanks!

Weary,

Check your TCP/IP property sheet for the adapter. Make sure there are no static DNS server entries. Then Advanced, DNS tab. Make sure that LMHOSTS is unchecked. Then Control Panel, Internet Options, Connection, LAN settings, make sure all the boxes are unchecked.

No static DNS and the LMHOSTS seemed to be under the WINS tab, but I unchecked it as well -- nothing checked under LAN settings either. Sigh. Any last suggestions before drastic action takes place?

Thanks a lot..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back