Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win XP Reboots-Motherboard Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmiccolis

IS-IT--Management
Oct 3, 2002
US
I just replaced my athlon motherboard with a higher speed version of the same. Computer gets through all the bios self-tests but that's it. Win XP worked fine before, but now system boots to the "system did not boot normally, hardware change..." with the restart options. I selected each one, safe, normal, last good, and computer just continues to reboot to same screen. I tried the Win XP setup CD and a bootable floppy with the boot.ini, ntboot files. Same result. I'm stumped!

Sincerely

Thanks for the quick reply. I tried booting from the Win XP installation disk. XP goes right into loading files and then hangs at "starting system." Can't get past that. Is the only option now is to reformat the hard drive and start from scratch?

Normally a repair installation fixes the problem, but this assumes that everything is connected as it should be.

These links may offer you other things to check.

xp will not load after replacing motherboard!?
thread779-709808

Upgrading motherboard with XP problem
thread779-660234

To check that your machine is working correctly it might be an idea to test the RAM and harddrive out of the Windows environment. These will use a floppies to boot into the testing program and no operating system is required.

From the manufacturer of your hard drive, you can download diagnostic utilities from their sites to check the drives.

If you can't boot any of these diagnostics that fact alone might indicate where your fault is.

Once you format any data on your drive is lost. Before that you have options available to recover your data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back