Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

win XP problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jediwarrior

IS-IT--Management
May 19, 2004
US
Hi all,
I am working on a computer that had WinXP Pro on it. During a windows update, the computer would not reboot and was encountering boot sector 0 problems, and you could not boot into windows. A friend of hers formatted the hard drive and loaded WinXP HOME edition on it, but they cannot activate it since it says that that version with the Key codes has met the required number of times it can be activated. So she is out of luck using Win XP unless she buys a new XP disk.

She does have a Win98 CD and would like to put that on, now the problem is how do you format the hard drive to be able to load 98 on it? I can't seem to boot into the MS-DOS mode as the option isn't available during shutdown or roboot. I put the format command on a floppy drive, but I get errors about dismounting the drive? Not sure what's going on. Can you help me?
Thanks,
Jediwarrior

You can use a program called [link=http://dban.sourceforge.net]Dariks Boot and Nuke[/url] (download it then burn it to a CD then boot to the CD) to wipe the drive clean and then you should be able to format the drive with a Windows 98 boot disk. You can find a 98 boot disk from bootdisk.com with format and fdisk on it. Good luck!

Cheers
Rob

The answer is always "PEBKAC!

Just use the telephone activation method and explain the issue to MS (if they even ask) and they'll let you reactivate XP on the machine again.

if the pc came preloaded with xp pro i'm guessing it has the keycode for an install of it somewhere on the pc itself. so she should be able to install xp pro - find a cd somewhere - and reinstall it using the keycode on the pc.

Laters, phat, headshape

I agree with THEO1881 first, if there is a KEY on the PC use it to reload XP-PRO...

W98se is BOOTABLE and there in the CMD PROMPT run FDISK, to partition the drive and format the drive, etc...

if the above do nothing, then go with AZ-Geek suggestion, about obtaining a BOOT DISKETTE...

PS: you may also try what MattNeeley suggested first, since HOME is already installed...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

<i>I agree with THEO1881 first, if there is a KEY on the PC use it to reload XP-PRO...</I>

Not any more, there isn't:

<i>A friend of hers formatted the hard drive</i>.

And if the xp cd she has is from an oem system, MS won't give the funny number. (But belligerence may work).

I advise against 98 then upgrade after too many bad upgrade experiences to go into. (Each previous version leaves bugs behind), unless you intend to wipe all and reinstall everything when she gets the disk. My advice is to go to Tiger/Newegg/JR/Dealnews..whoever offers the best deal - get a second drive for data only (always data on a separate drive, my documents be damned) and buy with that xp oem with a clear conscience.
Note: Do NOT get 64 bit. Bad, bad, bad idea. Too much hassle getting drivers.

@ jlockley - if the COA sticker is on the PC, then I do not see any problem with reloading XP PRO and getting it activated...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Hi all,
The big problem is that she doesn't have XP Pro anymore. she inherited the pc, so there is no disk for it. So I had to format and load Win XP Home, except that they won't allow it to be activated.
I will take your advice(s) and see what I can do. Thank you all for you input.

Probably too late to help, but calling MS support and telling them that you are attempting to reinstall XP Pro on the same PC should result in them giving you a new code (supposing that you lost the original code). It worked for me.

That you attempted to install XP Home on a different PC (maximum two systems per code) should result in a denial.

However, if you explain that one of the two original PCs died and you are installing your original OS on a replacement PC, they should still give you a code for that new install. That worked for me, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back