Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

win xp pro to NT server 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

xhaya

IS-IT--Management
Jul 23, 2003
TW
I have a computer running win xp pro trying to connect to win nt server 4 (pdb & bdc setup)
somehow its never asks me for a password at startup
only when i request to view things on the bdc server do i get asked
also i cant get access any resources on the pdc server at all

i checked that i have a ethernet card and my internet connection (shared thru the LAN) is working fine
but i've noticed i dont have a network card...
is that the problem?

advice pls
any is appreciated
xhaya [noevil]

Can you clarify this post please.

1. How do you log onto the XP machine? You say it doesn't ask for password - so does it boot to desktop, or do you just leave password blank? Do you see a 'logon box' automatically 'filled in' with user name password? (there is option to automatically log on to one user in XP). When you click on Start, what user does it say you are logged on as?

2. Has the XP machine joined the NT domain?

3. 'i checked that i have a ethernet card and my internet connection (shared thru the LAN) is working fine
but i've noticed i dont have a network card'. An ethernet card is a network card! So what do you mean by this? If the internet connection is working over the LAN it suggests you are connected to the network! (but in what capacity is the question). Presume My network places is working to a degree as 'only when i request to view things on the bdc server do i get asked'.

sorry if i was unclear

1. yes logon asks for username and password. my username is correct when i click on start

2.Yes it has. i've run the network setup wizard on the xp machine.

3.ok thanks for the clarification. i confused myself. i have 2 servers pdc and bdc but i can only access resources on one server while all the other win98 pcs on the LAN can access resources on both. my main question is why is that?

advice very much appreciated

See the discussion here: thread779-641369

As a guess, your cached credentials are invalid. Remove any persistant mapping to shares on the PDC, especially from your logon bat. Instead of:

net use x: \\pdc_name\sharename

change to:

net use c:\\pdc_name\sharename /persistant:no

You should see if using the IP form of statement helps.

Instead of:

net use x: \\pdc_name\sharename /persistant:no

change to:

net use c: \\192.168.0.2\sharename /persistant:no

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back