Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win XP Pro SP2 & SQL Alias'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gweener

IS-IT--Management
Jul 22, 2003
GB
Hi,

I've just installed XP SP2. The paradox application i use connects to SQL database via ODBC and a paradox "Data" alias.

The alias to data (i.e. to sql server) no longer works if i try and manually open a table in that alias.

I can find some info relating to the problem but no evidence of a fix. Does anyone know whether there has/has not been a resolution to this?

Thanks

The resolution is to uninstall SP2.

However, I think there are still some issues with SQL aliases even then. Likely some registry entries/changes than munge the system.

Lengthy discussion on Corel's newsgroups. With workarounds for some of the issues.

Tony McGuire

Thanks Tony, yes i've uninstalled SP2 now and all is well.

It's more of a pain then anything as the auto-update on my laptop keeps trying to download SP2. Plus, the application I work with is a commercial one written using the paradox UI & objectPAL to connect to SQL database. We have customer base who want to move to SP2.

Well, since neither Paradox nor the BDE are being updated, you are stuck with staying away from SP2 - IF you need to connect to SQL.

However, that said, M$ broke a LOT of stuff with SP2. Their service packs ALWAYS break things or create problems, but this one made HUGE inroads for Linux.

And their SQL server is on the list. It needs specific ports open that are closed by default.

I wouldn't be surprised if an SP3 came out soon, or maybe a 'hotpatch', that reversed some of the 'upgrades' that they put in SP2. Nothing more than a hunch; I have NO specific knowledge.

Tony McGuire

I worked around the problem by not opening the tables manually with the alias. I created a form with a button for each table in the alias, the button opens the table with tableview. It's a pain but it works, another in the list of problems with working with a good program that is no longer supported and is destined to die a slow painful death.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back