Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win XP Pro = PC Anywhere??

Status
Not open for further replies.

SandyH

Programmer
Jun 16, 2000
US
I am wondering if Win XP Pro has the capability to have remote access like in the PC Anywhere software? I am in need of PC Anywhere and am just wondering if I can get a two for one type of thing if I just get XP.

Thanks!!

It does have a remote desktop program built in. But it is only for Win XP to Win XP or Win 9x/ME/NT/2k to Win XP, not Win XP to Win 9x/ME/NT/2k.

M$ NetMeeting also has a desktop sharing ability, you could try that out. That will work across the different OSes. Mike Wills
AS400 Programmer

You can also use WinXP Remote Desktop Sharing to connect to a remote XP machine from a Win9x or a Win2000 machine.

The software is on the WinXP CD.

You can also set up a WinXP Pro box running IIS to deliver the RDS client over the Web as an ActiveX control hosted in a browser page.

I went with pcAnywhere to be compatible to what we already had in place, but be sure to get the latest version to avoid problems. You need Ver. 10.5; 10.0 will not work (so Symantec says) and you will get a very scary warning message from XP if you try to install XP. Also, when you install Ver 10.5, you will still lose the graphical user screen at XP boot (the one with the pictures for each user) and revert to a more classical log-in screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back