Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win XP power settings - same for all users by default 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

radvibes

IS-IT--Management
Dec 11, 2002
US
I am having issues with power settings in Win Xp.

I am using ghost to create and image new workstations and laptops. No matter what I do, new users always get the out of the box settings for power and new XP view even though I am setting them all to never for the power and using windows classic view. I imagine that I need to set the settings for the default user where I think the new users are pulling this information from, but I can not seem to find it.

Can anyone help!!

Configure a user on the workstation with all of the settings that you want to be the new standard. DO NOT use the local admin account to make these settings changes. After everything is the way that you want it, log into the PC as the local admin. Right-click on My Computer, then Properties, then go to the Advanced tab. Click on the User Profiles button. Highlight the profile for which you have already made all of the changes, then select Copy To. Enter the path c:\Documents and Settings\Default User. You can also browse to find this location, but depending on whether you have certain system files and directories hidden you may not see it. Once you copy the desired profile to the Default User profile, then those settings will always be applied to any new user profiles created on the machine. This change will not affect profiles that already exist. This change will survive through subsequent Ghosting sessions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back