Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win XP New Installation not starting up

Status
Not open for further replies.

adspi81

MIS
Dec 30, 2004
MT
Dear All,

I have formatted a PC due to viruses and re-installed Windows XP SP2. This PC, with a Gigabyte 8VM533M-RZ mainboard and a P4 2.53GHz processor, has been working for a year and a half on Win XP SP2 and therefore there are no compatability issues.

As soon as the setup completes and the system restarts, the windows load screen appears but then no video signal is seen and the computer appears to be dead. However, the computer can load into safe mode without any problem. Since this is a fresh installation, there were no additional drivers installed other than windows'. I formatted the PC again and re-installed everythin at no avail. Same problem again.

I noticed that in safe mode, an error was recorded as failed to start fip intelppm. I don't know whether this is related to the problem but since there is this error message in the event viewer, there should be a kind of trouble.

Anyone ever met such a problem? I am assuming it is a hardware problem...but have no clule where to start pointing fingers at!

Thanks for all your attention and replies,

Yours,

Adriano.

Hi

It could possibly a driver issue, have you checked under safe mode that there aren't any conflicts in device manager and any red crosses against any of the devices?

It sounds likely that it could be your video driver since the screen goes off, I would recommend trying to find the exact model of the viedo card be it onboard or an expansion card and then obtaining the latest driver for it

Also what is normally useful in this situation apart from going into safe mode and troubleshooting the above is to unplug all devices aswell so you just have keyboard, mouse and monitor plugged in and use a process of elimination to see if an external device is the culprit that is preventing the PC from loading

Regards

Jamie

Sounds like the VIDEO Drivers are not being loaded correctly. like mentioned above try again with only
1. mouse -- 2. monitor -- 3. keyboard... installed & all other external items removed or unplugged....If the monitor your using is not "PLUG N PLAY". that could be the reason.... swap it out with some older junky PNP that works.

Frank Smith irc.dhcnetwork.com
gunslinger.gif

SomeWhere in Kansas Near Dodge City

Does it work if you Enable VGA mode rather than true Safe Mode?

Enable VGA Mode: This option starts Windows in 640 x 480 mode, using the current video driver (not Vga.sys). This mode is useful if the display is configured for a setting that the monitor cannot display.

315222 - A Description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP

If it was to work then it might produce a truer indication of errors in the Event Viewer rather than the false errors that are produced when and because you are using Safe Mode.

Yes, It does work... or It did work for me when i switched to the new DVI Samsung Monitor (none P.N.P)... wow went to MU (Microsoft Upgrade) to find the newest Samsung approved Drivers by MS... Viola...NMP.

Frank Smith irc.dhcnetwork.com
gunslinger.gif

SomeWhere in Kansas Near Dodge City

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back