Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WIN XP network slow connection - very strange!

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidimurray

Technical User
Oct 11, 2003
GB
I've just setup a home network consisting of a Linksys befsr41 connected to a NTL broadband modem. There are then 3 PC's connected to the router - one running 98SE, one running ME and one on XP. Now if either, or both, the 98 and/or the ME machine are on everything is fine. Shared folders is ok and net access is great.

If you then turn the XP machine on everything is fine for the first 10 minutes (whether the 98 and ME machines are on or not) then the net suddently slows to a crawl and becomes completely unuseable. Not only does it affect the XP machine but also the others as well! The strange thing is that the shared file access between machines continues to run fine - it's only the internet thats affected. Turn the xp machine off and everything goes back to normal.

I've tried upgrading the router firmware and a factory reset but no joy

Please help - i'm going bold!!!

Thanks in advance

Dave

quoted form
One computer screw up the network
Symptoms: you have a workgroup network and most computers are win9x, NT and ME. After you add XP computer into the network, you can't browse other computers in workgroup list.
Resolutions: This is mostly like master browser issue. The simple solution is stopping Computer Browser service on the XP. To stop Computer Browser service, go to the Computer Management>Services and Applications>Services.

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows, Network and How to at

Several worms can cause this behavior. Do at least two online scans with the XP machine from smah's FAQ (I use Trend Micro and Panda): faq760-3862

Robert

Thanks for the suggestion but it isen't really the answer to my problem. I can see all the other computers in the workgroup ALL the time and access them. However after the XP machine has been on for 10 minutes the internet connection suddennly seems to almost stop and this then affects all computers on the network. However access between PC's isen't afffected at all

Dave

If you can, check the ICMP traffic on your LAN and see if it is very high. If you can see switch utilization and it is high you may have a virus that uses ICMP (ping)to spread.
Good luck.

Greg5149

davidmurray,

At the present time a Win2k-WinXP machine without a firewall enabled will be infected with Msblast, Wachia, Nachia and other variants within 2.5 minutes on larger ISPs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back