Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

win-xp network problem after chaning motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wvdba

IS-IT--Management
Jun 3, 2008
US
hi.
i have a desktop machine that's running win-xp sp3.
the integrated sound card went bad and the motherboard was replaced. all functions work except that it will not connect to sudeenlink broadband network that previously did. any ideas what would cause this? do i need to do away with the previous network connection and use network connection wizard to create a new network connection?
thanks.

Drivers for the new MB installed? Including he network card drivers?

How is the network set up DHCP or STATIC?

If static are the correct settings in place in the network card configuration?

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

thanks phil.
all the drivers are installed. device manager shows all working ok. the network icon on the tray shows there 210 sent and 106 packets received but not connection is made to get the page.
it's using dhcp - not static.
should i delete the old connection and create a new connection using the wizard?
thanks.

Can you ping the router?
Can you ping the say What are the settings being given out by the DHCP?
Bring up a command prompt and type ipconfig /all copy what it outputs here.

should i delete the old connection and create a new connection using the wizard?

No, there's really no point in doing that.

Phil AKA Vacunita
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Hi,
Are you connecting through a router?
If so, perhaps it is set to allow only the MAC address of your previous network card ( if integrated on motherboard)

( I know, lots of IFs but it could be the issue)

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Whilst it may be unlikely that the modem/router has developed a fault, try switching it off for a few minutes, then on again. Ditto the cable modem if you're using one. Unless of course, you're able to verify it's connecting to the Internet with another machine. Also, try a new Ethernet cable and maybe plug it into a different port on the router.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

thanks for replies.
i'm not using a router. it's connecting directly to the suddenlink modem as it did before. like i said, it's sending 210 packets and receiving 106. should i just delete this connection and create another one using the wizard?
thanks.

I'm with G0AOZ

Routers will cooperate when a new device is connected (different mac address), but I've seen modems not cooperate many times. If there is any type of battery backup built into the modem (like I'm seeing with some of our ISPs) you need to pull that battery as well for 10 seconds in addition to pulling the AC power.

wvdba,

You've been given a number of excellent troubleshooting suggestions, have you tried any of them???

And regarding your question "should i just delete this connection and create another one using the wizard?", vacunita already answered that.

To repeat the suggestions:
Shut modem off for a few minutes. Turn it back on, reboot computer.
Go to a command prompt, and type "ipconfig /all". Try to ping the "Default Gateway". Try to ping "

If the modem is doing DHCP, then it is a Router, or has the capacity of a router.

anyway, can you ping it?
can you ping google.com?
Can you ping any other site?

What is the output if ipconfig/all?

i'm not using a router. it's connecting directly to the suddenlink modem as it did before. like i said, it's sending 210 packets and receiving 106. should i just delete this connection and create another one using the wizard?
thanks.

Again, not necessary. The wizard does absolutely nothing.

Phil AKA Vacunita

to answer your persistent question:

should i just delete this connection and create another one using the wizard?

the short answer: YES...

reason, the old config incorporates the OLD network card (that is no longer present)...

also under the DEVICE MANAGER you will need to remove the OLD network card, default setting in XP is to not show non attached devices, so follow the link below:

Device Manager does not display devices that are not connected to the Windows XP-based computer

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

When they are good, they are very good, but when they are bad, they are the pits.

My last one also required the firewall to be shut down, the winsock fix, the ip reset fix, and redoing the internet setup.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

thanks all.
i tried turning the modem off for a few minutes and turning it back on - no joy.
i tried creating a new connection - no joy.
i can ping google.com, yahoo.com and all the sites in the command line. but, http and https is not working. i ran internet explorer's diagnositcs and it says dhcp problem and http and https not working.
any idea how to fix this problem?
thanks.

sounds like the winsocks got scrambled a bit, open a command line (DOS Box), and issue the following command:

netsh winsock reset catalog

hit return, and if prompted to reboot do so...

see if that clears up the problem...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

thanks a lot badbigben.
i'm going to try that shorty.
i will post the results for everybody's benefit.
thanks much.

unfortunately,
netsh winsock reset catalog and
netsh int ip reset
with a restart did not work. still could not get to internet using the browser. but the ping worked with all the sites.
had to re-install windows xp using recovery disks.
thanks everyone for all your help.

Next step would have/could have/should have been a malware scan with various things we could have recommended, but the brute force method you chose ALWAYS works and often saves time in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back