Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win XP /ME Dual Boot + XP Network Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

loacadmin

IS-IT--Management
Aug 1, 2001
AU
Ok, first of all I know there are 4 or 5 threads on this subject, but I couldn't find the answer to my question.

As the subject suggests I want to Dual boot XP and ME (I have installed XP on 5gb drive and ME on 10gb drive. The 5gb drive is Primary Master, and 10gb drive is Primary Slave), from what I'm reading it's a matter of editing the boot.ini. My question is, how?

What do I have to put in the boot.ini file?

Also, I am using ADSL, and my computer has 2 network cards, and is running as a host to a second computer on our home network. The network card that is directly connect to the second computer auto disables when the other computer isn't on, so my proxy program/DHCP server brings up an error saying that the network card has no IP address'. Without going all the way into it, does anyone know how to make the local network card stay on all the time?

Thankyou.

I think you have it bass ackwards!! The ME O/S(or any other O/S for that matter) has to be on the primary drive and XP on the secondary one. I have a mirror setup to this and although the XP side is flakey,Im beginning to iron it out. Also of note is the only primary partition in on my C(primary)drive. The secondary drive where XP lives is partitioned into two LOGICAL, FAT32 partitions(one for XP and one for storage of both O/S's) FYI my boot ini looks like this-
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\windows
[operating systems]
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
C:\="Microsoft Windows"

The files needed to boot to XP are-
BOOT.INI
NTLDR
NTDETECT.COM

I put these on a floppy and even with my Primary drive unplugged it will allow me to boot to XP(it's on my slave drive of course).All the boot files,for both O/S's are found on the primary(Win ME)drive.
jimi_l
jim@jlproduction.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back