Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WIN XP \ Linux and Procomm 4.8

Status
Not open for further replies.

hankm3

Programmer
Jan 27, 2002
US
Hello,

Does anyone know if Procomm Plus 4.8 will Load / Work on a Linux System. Since Win XP is Taking over the World, I may have to go back to a Unix Type System to get any work done.

If PC 4.8 will load on WIN XP in a Custom Install, has anyone got this to work with any Success ? Knob has stated that FAX will NOT work...

Thanks

Hank

I don't think fax will work, but I have not tried that myself (I don't have a modem on my XP machine at work to test this out). I'll do an install tomorrow and see if telnet/FTP seems to work OK. It seems to be a crapshoot on the Symantec forum, with some people being able to run on XP and others having problems, but it's not really clear which are XP-specific problems and which aren't.

You can see how someone got the DOS version of Procomm running on Linux here:

I seem to recall people being able to run an older (maybe 2.x) of the Windows product on a Sun box with WABI, so something like Wine might have a decent chance of running version 4.8 under Linux.

I installed version 4.8 on an XP machine this afternoon and didn't run into any problems. I made a telnet connection from the Connection Directory, a manual connection to an FTP server, brought up some different Procomm tools, compiled the host script, etc.

Knob,

Did you an Auto Load or a Custom Install ?? I had an XP Pro Laptop earlier this year
and PC 4.8 would not Load because it's not XP Pro Compatable. Maybe XP had some Patches to Correct this Issue. Ok now with this I can consider going to XP.

Thanks as Always

Hank

I did a full install from the CD. This was the release version of XP Pro, no service packs or patches.

The latest ProComm release seems to work fine under the WindowsXP pro. The fax does have one problem I noticed, when I hilite and right click then choose fax, it just sits there. I've had some luck pasting the hilite into a file then sending the print to the ProComm fax device.

Like you I do wish Symantec would port ProComm to Linux X. I've tried to get it running with Wine for some time know without much luck. I can only get the logo to display...Oh Well.

PcAnywhere works except I'm having video performance problems when XP is the host......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back