Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win XP Install problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

FredJim

Vendor
Jan 18, 2003
US
I am trying to install Win XP onto my Win Me machine. I ran the compatibility test several times and it came out clean....it said yes I can install XP. It will go though all the install until it gets to "Finalizing Installation" then it freezes up.......well, actually it said 28 minutes to go until it was done....it said that for an hour before I restarted the install. The screen changes text....telling about the good things about XP but the Finalizing just sits there and the light on the tower that shows it's working is not on or blinking.
Anybody have an answer for this ??

It's a 755 Mhz , 256 MB ram machine...........any help would be greatly appreciated

Hi!
Whats the motherboard type .
Maybe you need some bios ajustments for XP.

syar

I have absolutely no idea.......it seems like the compatibility check that was on the WinXP Pro disk would of caught something like that

When the xp installation starts .
some seconsd later it says on the bottom line
"press F6 if you need to install a SCSI or RAID controller"

When this is displayed press F5 .
This takes you to another menu
Hardware Abstraction Layer's here you can choose an appropriate HAL .
Choose "Standard PC" and give it a new go.

Watch the screen , you have to be quick..

syar

If your bios is ACPI capable
choose :
Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC

Belarc Advisor might help you with details of your motherboard and bios version.

Read the check list in this MSKB.

HOW TO: Prepare to Upgrade Windows 98 or Windows Millennium Edition to Windows XP(Q316639)

Computer Stops Responding After It Restarts During Windows XP Setup (Q307551)

I'm trying to download the xp upgrade advisor from theh Microsoft site and page to begin the download won't load at all. Anyone experienced this before??? I've been trying to do this for a number of days now with no success. I've disabled firewalls and lowered the security settings in IE to try and overcome it but no luck, Any ideas????

Sorry - meant to start that in a new thread

Do you have any other problems with any other downloads? The reason I ask is that you will find the Upgrade Adviser program on any XP CD you have around the place.

If you want to pursue the matter further tell us about the system you are using and any error message you are receiving. Try cleaning out your temp files and Temporary Internet Files too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back