Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win XP DHCP Lease software issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dana340

IS-IT--Management
Jan 15, 2007
US
Hi All,

I have to admidt i'm at a bit of a loss on this one, not even sure how to search for the resolution.

This is an older Dell PC on small home network is the only wired device attached to router - All Windows updates applied. It displays "limited or no connectivity" briefly about every 30 seconds or so... running ipconfig shows us an IP of 0.0.0.0.

At first I suspected faulty cabling or NIC, so i brought the computer to the office for some testing. Scanned for malware just in case, and added another NIC with a good ethernet cable. Now it's connecting to a new network with new NIC and new cable... it exhibits the same behavior.

For good measure I hit it up with sfc /scannow.

So, I thought it was the TCP/IP stack, i ran the following and rebooted.

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

the problem persisted,
So I followed instructions here:
and the problems still persists. Any ideas?

YOu could try the winsock reset also.

Another possibility is adding NETBUI since that helps machines that have problems see others on the network.

Had you considered going to fixed IP? That was my only solution on a mixed XP/7 installation that progressively, over 3 months, dropped IP availability on all the 7s and several XPs.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Have seen a virus/malware causing this issue in a couple PCs as well. I would also advise a thorough scan with MSE/Avast, Malwarebytes, Spybot S&D, Rkill, TDSSKiller to be safe.

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

Hi Ed, thanks for your response.

I agree and really like the idea of giving it a static IP. If it was my personal computer it would be the next thing that I would do. I think that putting in those settings would just cause problems once someone else tries to tinker with it.

The computer is mainly used for Internet access, and the connection issue tends to halt downloads, cause problems loading pages, etc. I believe that NetBEUI would be

The good news is I was able to correct the issue. AT&T had recommended that they install some software to work with their 2wire brand gateway. Once this was removed, the symptom stopped.I honestly did not expect some mundane program to have such a profound impact on network connectivity.

The moral of the story: just blame AT&T.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back