Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win XP Cant Get To Internet Options Through IE6 Tools Menu 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

spoon1

Technical User
Apr 28, 2003
US
Hi list, can someone help me? I can't get to internet tools through the IE6 menu bar Tools>Internet Options, I get an error message that says "this operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator." The thing is, is that on my computer im the admin. I have a network of 3 computers with win XP and all computers are set to admin.
Thanks for any help!

Running SpyBot, per chance?
If so, go to the Immunize section of SpyBot and uncheck "'Lock IE Control Panel from opening within IE."

I am running spybot, I could not find that setting anywhere (I looked under settings), so I have uninstalled it and restarted the computer- but I have the same error message- thanks for your advice but no joy....

You might try going into regedit and doing a search for "NoBrowserOptions." When found either delete the value or set it to '00 00 00 00.'

Otherwise, you might be a hijack victom, so I'd try SpyBot
(Update it before you run it)

The regedit did the trick!! Thank you so much! Do you know what caused it by the way?
Thanks again!

Could be a hijack result, so I'd still use the SpyBot. It should be part of your normal maintenance routine.

I had the same problem with iexplorer, it was driving me crackers. Thanks to this thread I was able to sort it. one point is that to switch off the setting in spybot I had to go into advanced mode and not easymode. You'll find it on the start menu.

Many thanks carrr your a star, and I'm a poet and I didn't know it! :eek:)

Thanks carrr, have a star. The registry tweak worked for me as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back