Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win XP Backup Shortcut

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaylinnh

Technical User
Jan 5, 2004
US
Once I save a backup job using M/S Backup, how can I create a desktop shortcut to run the specified backup job? Anyone out there who can help set me straight? Thanks!! J

If you type "ntbackup" in the Help and Support program and look at the topices under "Suggested Topics" you may find something you can use?

"Using batch files to back up data.

You can perform backup operations from batch files using the ntbackup command followed by various command line parameters. However, there are two important limitations to using batch files to back up your data:

Using the ntbackup command, you can back up entire folders only. You cannot designate individual files for backup. However, you can designate a backup selection file (.bks file) from the command line, which contains a list of files you want to back up. You must use the GUI version of the Backup utility to create backup selection files.
The ntbackup command does not support the use of wildcard characters. For example, typing *.txt will not back up files with a .txt extension.

Command line examples.

The following examples show how to use the ntbackup command to back up files and folders from the command prompt or by using a batch file."

The examples are in Help and Support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back