Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WIN XP and WIN 98 NETWORKING PROBLEM

Status
Not open for further replies.

marybailey

Programmer
Mar 14, 2002
US
I just replaced a desktop running 98 FE with a new desktop running Win XP pro. The old desktop was using NETBEUI in a peer to peer network with a laptop runing win 98 SE and NETBEUI. After the swap I find the dental app I use takes a lot longer to load from the desktop to the laptop and the vendor states that it is a known performance problem between 98 and xp. Protocols I am using on 98 se laptop is NETBEUI (sp) and TCP/IP. NETBEUI is not installed on the XP machine. The vendor suggested that I upgrade the laptop to XP, but to my chagrin the sony site has no info on whether I can upgrade my PCG-F350 to XP. So if I CANNOT upgrade my laptop to XP,
Is there anything I can do on the XP machine to speed things ? Could this slowness be attributed to different protocols on these machines ? would installing NTEBEUI on the XP machine help ?
Would upgrading to WIN 2000 on the laptop help if nothig can be tweaked on the XP machine ?
Any help greatly appreciated!
Mrs B

Yes - I've seen a lot of slow 98/Me to 2k/XP network connections. There's a registry tweak which is supposed to speed it up (can't lay my hands on it currently, but it didn't work for me). Suspect making laptop 2k would improve matters (but have no real evidence - all PC's on our home network, apart from my test ones are running XP or 2k now - no problems). Don't think netbeui would improve matters - but it might (so you could try it and see - just remove again if no better).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back