Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win XP and USB Mouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

moggy44

Technical User
Nov 13, 2002
GB
Hi,

Problem with XP on a re-built Packard Bell.
I virtually re-built machine i.e.
New.
Motherboard Jetway 603 TCF
Hard drive 40 gig Maxtor
Memory 256 PC133
CD-Rom LG 52X
Jetway Graphics Card.

Installed Win XP Pro on my set-up at Home incl USB Keyboard & MS Optical Mouse.

The problem came when I took machine back to friend, it booted up fine and got to log-on user screen and then found mouse would move pointer, realized I had set up with my own Mouse, hit re-set and next time machine booted I got lots of errors after about 90% disk scan. So hit re-set again and decided to use XP Disk to repair and hopefully install mouse drivers it got to 92% and ground to a halt or it took half an hour to get to 93%.
I left system running at friends.
Can anyone tell me if it will correct itself or will I have to re-format and start again.

Regards John.M

If it is a fresh install i would just format and re-install especially if your already having these kinds of problems

Hi,

The only problem I have spent a number of hours loading Programs onto the machine and don't want to waste my time again if possible, may know Wed of outcome so will post.

Regards john.M

once you remove theUSB device it is no longer active nor defaulted.

Do you have a ps2 mouse you can use.

I have the same problem. The University I work for has bought all new machines for the labs and electronic classrooms, but they all use USB mice. We constantly get errors that the mice are no working right. We have replace the mice with some of the old PS2 mice.. Well as many as we could any way. We still have over half of the systems with the USB mice. We just tell the lab consultants to unplug then replug the mice and it wiil be ok from there.

Does anybody know of a good solution, fix, or patch to the problem? In short HHEEEEELLLLP!!!!!

Hi,

Yes I can put a PS2 mouse in place/as well and let it configure new USB Mouse but the problem I have was that when I was unable to move pointer on screen when I was at the log-on name screen in XP, I hit the re-set button expecting the next time it booted I could put a PS2 mouse in the problem was it did a scan Disk of drive C: and got to 93% and even though HD activity light is on I would not go any further.
So I will try and recover Thurs failing that I think it will be a re-format and start again. I will try the restore from safe mode first and see if that works.
I have learnt something don't load OS with a different USB mouse than the end user will use or make sure I connect a PS2 mouse as well.

Regards John.M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back