Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win server2003 hangs at 'applying computer settings'

Status
Not open for further replies.

drcbell

IS-IT--Management
Jan 29, 2004
GB
I have a server which is taking about an hour to boot and upto another hour to logon. It shows the 'Applying Computer Settings' screen. File & print services are fine after first 10 mins of boot.

It started when I added an external SCSI AIT tape device to our 2nd DC which runs file and print.

Shutdown, added device (cable plugged into exisitng Adaptec 29160) rebooted and...

Error logs show nothing
Minimal services start up - nothing within AD running.
Backup Exec service flags as starting - even with device removed.

I found the time wrong between DC's (possible daylight saving failure) and corrected it - no change.

Have run DCpromo to demote - it took 1.5 hours with a message saying files transferred to other DC succesfully.

Have now set of shutdown to check BIOS reseat SCSI ctlr and it has been 40 mins so far abd its still up.

Any suggestions?

I've seen a problem like this when my IP settings where not set correctly.

As a quick check, take a look at the servers IP settings. Make sure that you have the correct DNS server IP addresses. If you have the wrong DNS servers set, your server may be having trouble finding Active Directory. Also, check to make sure you have the proper gateway.

-later

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back