Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win NT client can't access Internet 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

juerg

Programmer
Nov 8, 2002
CH
We have a small Ethernet Network with a Windows 2000 Server. From the network we get access to the Internet via an ADSL-Router. The IP address of the ADSL router is designated as defalut gateway on the server and on all clients.
Internet access works well for the server and for all Windows98 clients. However, one client is Windows NT and from there it does not work. When we try to access a page on Internet, the router opens the connection to the internet but the Windows NT client obviously does not get the information. The browser displays the error message that the page can’t be found.
What do we need to change to get the Internet access working for the Windows NT client as well?
All help will be much appreciated.

Can the client ping the gateway and any outside site? A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Keep fighting for your knowledge!

Here's a shot in the dark. I had this problem on my Win2k machine and who knows, this little quirk may be the same thing you're experiencing. I'm assuming you're using Internet Explorer:

1)Open an internet explorer window.
2)Click 'tools'->'internet options'.
3)Go to the 'connections' tab.
4)Click 'setup'.
5)Choose the 'LAN' option and click 'next'.
6)Again choose the 'LAN' option and click 'next'.
7)NOW, in the 'automatic configuration' area, make sure NOTHING is selected! Make sure NOTHING on that whole dialog is selected! This is KEY. Click 'next'.
8)Now tell it you don't want to setup a mail account and click 'next'.
9)Finally, click 'FINISH'.

You should immediately be connected to the internet.

I hope your problem is as simple as this. It drove me nuts for the longest time because my router software wouldn't work on win2k/NT but worked fine in win98. By luck I came across step 7 above and it fixed everything. Hope this helps!

The Windows NT client can ping the gateway but it can't ping anything outside our network. When he tries to ping an IP outside our network, he does not get the usual error message "timed out" but immediately after trying he gets the error message that this site can't be accessed.

The suggestion from gorgor did not work, either. After following the procedure descriped above, the Win NT client does not have sufficient rights.

We will be grateful for all hints!

can you change the IP of that workstation and try again?
A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Keep fighting for your knowledge!

From the problem pc, what does route print show you? Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[bat]

"The past, though it cannot be relived, can always be repaired."
John La Farge (1835-1910); U.S. artist.

Are you using DHCP or static ip addresses?

If you are using static ip addresses check the gateway of the NT machine to make sure it is the inside interface of your router.

A message above suggests that you may need to login as a local administrator to make changes.

The hint with "route print" was indeed very helpful: The entry for 0.0.0.0 was missing.
We have manually added this entry and set as IP for the gateway the IP-address of the router. Now it works!

Thank you very much to all of you!

Glad to help juerg. I like to start at the basics. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

"The past, though it cannot be relived, can always be repaired."
John La Farge (1835-1910); U.S. artist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back