Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

win me defrag

Status
Not open for further replies.

terryjade

Technical User
Nov 6, 2001
GB
i have had win me on new machine for 2 months, now my defrag is not working it will not go past 0% it has worked (scandisk works) i tried .system file checker. and that was ok have deleted no programs of my system why why why
help please .terry.

I also have Windows ME and had the same problem. I had to run defrag in Safe Mode to get it to work. However, a couple months later I had some problems with a hard drive and had to reload the OS and defrag worked just fine after that! There is also an article on this problem in Microsoft's Knowledge Base. Good luck!!

SOmetimes something like a Norton utility or Antivirus will disable the use of defrag...try to disable your Antivirus or SYstem utilities of you are running these.....

CS

It should always work in Safe Mode. Like cschaffer said, it's probably something running in the background like your Antivirus program or screen saver timer. If you get tired of running it in safe mode every time, do a CTRL-ALT-DEL in normal mode and end task on everything except explorer and systray. Also make sure you disable your screen saver...

terryjade

If the above tips don't help..try

TROUBLESHOOTING PROBLEMS WITH DISK DEFRAGMENTER
Frequently Asked Questions about Defrag

These are excellent sites with pages exclusively dedicated to DEFRAG problems...Lots of links to MKB also..

And a "quicky" you can try before above.

Make sure Scandisk is ticked in startup menu before you try defragmenter..

Smitee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back