Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win and memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graywolf96

Instructor
Apr 9, 2001
US
1. I have a P3 450 with 384 RAM on Win 98SE. Somebody told me that various Win operating systems can only handle so much RAM and that I wasted my money past 256M. I bought it for the processing of video editing...memory for the application. Isn't that correct?

2. 3D video card for games (Return to Wolfenstein?...or new release of Warcraft 3?) for above system, SOYO MB from Tiger Direct. What would you recommend? I bought a 64M Pine nVidia GEforce AGP card on the internet that flat does not work with any drivers period (freezes at Win98 screen) but does work on other systems. Don't want to get nailed again.

Thanks in advance.

Varying opinions graywolf96. Read this FAQ for more info:

faq615-1638

Truth is that it's hardly ever the same between any 2 systems. I am running 384MB on Win98SE and have no problems. Some might have problems running more than 320MB. Others might be able to run up to 512MB. It varies...

The advice you were given about wasting your money, depends on what you use your system for. Based on what you said about video editing, you can easily notice faster caching times with larger amounts of RAM. 256MB is normally enough for basic apps and gaming. [deejay]
ck_blk@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back