Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 98SE security settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluedollar

Programmer
Jul 24, 2003
GB
I have just spent the past couple of days setting up a network for exiled tibetian monks in dharmasala. However they like to play (eg. go into control panel, delete icons, install dodgy software of the internet etc..) as I am leaving and there is no one to support the network; I need to find a way to stop this.

What I would like to setup is a guest profile on each pc, which:

- does not allow access to control panel
- loads up the same default desktop screen each time it is loaded
- does not allow installation of software

And also a admin account on each pc, which allows:

- changes to control panel
- changes to default desktop screen
- installaion of software

the changes made to the admin profile would propogate to the guest profile.

I am using win98 se on all machines (including server), and I can not get hold of anything else.

Is there a solution to this problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Dan

Because your not on an NT server, and plus, it's complicated and very finicky....you probably wouldn't want to use System Policy Editor......although I think you could anyway

My fastest easiest suggestion would be to install TWEAKUI on each PC, make the "Admin" settings changes...
1. No Control Panel Access
2. No Drive Access (A:\,C:\,D:\.etc)
3. Many little settings to Tweak Desktop access.....and other tweaks

Then I would Uninstall TWEAKUI......and let the Administrator carry around a copy on CD.....and reinstall TWEAKUI to load software, get into control panel, etc....

Unfortunately, I don't believe the Win98 SE version has it, though the Win98 CD does...

Fortunately, if you don't have plain Win98 CD...you can go here to get the latest version of TWEAKUI.......Read first and then follow link at bottom of page.....

I'm think this should work the way you'd like......
TT4U

TT4U
Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions....I try very hard to impart correct info at all times.

This solution at first glance might appear to be somewhat excessively restrictive. It is used in computer labs in schools and universities, and public access terminals such as in libraries. The tool is called 'Deep Freeze':

Regardless of what users do the PC, the machine is always returned to its prior existing configuration when the computer is next rebooted.

An administrator can freeze or unfreeze the restrictions. Even hackers have stated in the testimonials how they have been unable to 'have it their own way'.

You can set up a user file storage area. Essentially, the registry seems to get completely restored to its prior frozen condition and any new loaded programs or alterations are neutralized or reversed.

TekTippy could you comment further.

If you lock down your system with TWEAKUI, how it it then possible to uninstall TWEAKUI? How does one reinstall TWEAKUI on a locked down system? Does TWEAKUI actually run from a CD?

Yes, I see your point.....
how would you reistall if you don't have access to the drives?....right?
On my 98 CD, If you install from the CD.....the executable is on the CD...so is the control panel applet
I guess my little workaround has some flaws.......yet I can be quite resourceful.......ready;

The only things I would leave 'checked' as unaccessible under the Control Panel 'tab' in TWEAKUI, is the Add/Remove applet and the Tweakui applet.....I guess what one could do is then just "rename" on the Hard disk (simpler?)...and/or maybe even move the files out of System folder....
Tweakui.cpl.....to tweakui.not, and
appwiz.cpl......to appwiz.not
then only have Administrator rename the files for Access to TWEAKUI and Restore options for changes needed...

Actually all one would need to do, if leaving the tweakui.cpl on disc and renaming, is even forget about the appwiz.cpl and just "check" that as unaccessible in Tweakui(because there would be no need to 'uninstall it if doing the renaming thing)...
I know this is in no way fool proof......I'm just creating my own workarounds.......

TT4U
Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions....I try very hard to impart correct info at all times.

A little note/revision to my last post ......
"Checked" on 'Control Panel Tab' in TWEAKUI means "Access Enabled"
"Unchecked" means 'No Access'

TT4U
Notification:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back