Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 98 won't retain workgroup name

Status
Not open for further replies.

uptime

Technical User
Feb 12, 2002
US
I am having a strange problem with an old win98 computer being added to a 2003 server domain. When i reboot I get the following message from windows networking:

The following error occurred while loading the device vnetsup - error 6101: The string specified by the workgroup keyword in the registry was not found.

When you go into network properties the workgroup field is blank. If I fill in the domain and reboot everything is fine until the next re-start.

Any ideas? (other than the obvious - it's time to pitch any business computer that shipped with win98)

Thanks,

Rich

I can only suggest uninstalling all network components, remove the network card, and then reboot machine so it knows it's got no network or card on board. Then turn off, reinsert NIC, restart and allow it to install driver and network components again...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back