Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

win 98/win2k/system commander 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

porabai

Programmer
Jan 24, 2003
CA
Hello All

I have IBM PII pc with win 98 as primary and occupies 3gb and win2k as partition with 7gb. I had used system commander for partition and logging all the times win2k only. i plan to format my harddrive, but i am looking to boot thru cd which has win xp and try to format the whole hard drive and load win xp. but due to system commander i am not able to boot thru cd even after changing the booting sequence in setup. always the system commander prompts me to log to win98/win2k/boot thru floppy drive which is menu based and i always log to win2k. please kindly advise me as how to format my hard drive (i want to remove both o/s and load new one in ntfs format.

thanks in advance.
porabai

You can try something like Darik's Boot and Nuke to totally wipe the drive, then go ahead with the XP install.

Though I am confused as to why you can't boot from CD in the first place. . .

Anyway, DBAN is a pretty elegant solution to just about any hard drive formatting problem.

Hope this helps,
Martin

Thanks for the advice. I am even surprised too that i am not able to boot thru win xp thru cd even i after i changed the sequence 1st to cd and then to hard drive and then the floppy.

i believe the system commander overrides the booting sequence and takes the sequence created in it.

i will try the method u said and will update on this.

thanks once again

Hello All

Just wanted to update everybody and thanks for taking time to reply. Finally I am able to format the hard drive. I have done in the following way.
Had the winxp cd ready
rebooted the system and when system commander prompts i went thru the OS wizard and selected the partition for 3gb which has win 98.
formatted this drive first but warned me that i need booting disk after format which i said ok.

formatted the hard drive of 3gb. and rebooted.
inserted the winxp cd in cd drive and booted thru winxp and deleted the 2 partitions and formatted the harddrive of 10gb and successfully loaded the o/s and its working fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back